The NRAS Blog

Friday 1 March 2013

'Misconception - Barriers to understanding RA' by Oli Hoare



I decided to stray from my typical blog set up this time around and instead of talking about cake, I want to talk about a topic I hear frequently; the misconception of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Now I’ve been with NRAS for two years, an easy number to count, but I could not tell you how many times someone has heard the ‘arthritis’ in Rheumatoid Arthritis and jumped the gun to thinking I’m talking about an older generation’s problem. I’m so used to this being the reaction, that recently when I delivered a presentation to a group of people unfamiliar with the disease, 30 minutes of the 45 minute presentation was spent informing them of the disease, how it is treated and then how NRAS has a role, before we even got on to the topic of why I was there to speak to them. Now that is the extreme, but I hope that one day we will not need to first explain the disease before we explain the charity.

Fortunately the driving wheels of this process are in motion and NRAS is pleased to bring you the very first RA Awareness Week, to be held between 24th and 30th June this summer.

With this week we want to emphasise the important message that RA is an autoimmune disease with no generational barriers. Most people are still of a working age when onset occurs! Events and activities will be planned throughout the week so if you want to get involved to help us spread the message, watch this space to find out more information about what is happening near you and what you can do to support us. Facebook ( www.facebook.com/nationalrh... ) and Twitter ( twitter.com/NRAS_UK ) will give you the best updates on the Week and how you can take part.

I do hope you get involved in the week and help us to raise awareness of RA.

Oli
Trust and Grants Fundraiser

No comments: